GRACE A MOI

Who? Your #1 favorite traveler (aka me)
What? a blog, obviously
When? 8 whole months from September 2011-May 2012
Where? The smallest town in which I've lived: Issoudun, France
Why? ...Oh gosh...why not?

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

mon boulot

Salut!

I am happy to report that this week is going substantially better than last week!  

Since it is now 2 weeks before Christmas break, everyone is working on Christmas exercises.  The teachers have asked me to make presentations on Christmas in America; however, an American Christmas is pretty much the same as the French Christmas.  Slight differences that I’ve pointed out:

- Despite France being a traditionally Catholic country before 1905 and despite the fact that most everyone is baptized Catholic, the country itself is not that religious.  And therefore Christmas is all about the Coca-Cola Santa and not so much about the 3 wise men.  

- The city of Issoudun has put up lights all over the streets and main square of the centre ville.  It’s this way in practically every city in France…I was initially scared that maybe Issoudun was too small to put up lights, but luckily they are on lamp posts, hanging between buildings, and in the trees! 

- They have not only Père Noël (Father Christmas), but also Père Fouettard.  So rather than Santa having a naughty and nice list, they have a version of santa that whips children if they are bad.  Obviously, no one is dressing up as Père Fouettard since the idea of a man that whips children is not too friendly.  And since Père Fouettard hasn’t been commercialized like Santa, no one really knows what he looks like.  But the pictures I’ve seen look a lot like a Russian wearing all black.  I prefer the list of naughty and nice over Père Fouettard.

So in the classes, we are currently learning all the vocabulary for Christmas: a present, candy canes, ornaments, a star, a snowman, a Christmas tree, Merry Christmas, etc.  I’m even sucking it up and teaching them the words “a cracker” and “Christmas pudding” (there are some days when I think I’m here to teach British English...).  But anyway, here are a few pictures of the class room, sans students:

The teacher's desk and some student's desk.
For the record, there are no longer any leaves on that tree our the window.

view from the back of another classroom.

view from the window of Ecole St. Exupery.  
Apparently the fog is typical of this area...

Overall, the kids seem to be picking up on English.  I would say that they at least are pronouncing words better.  But I had a conversation with a 3rd grade kid yesterday that makes me both laugh and question how much they're picking up on English:

Kid: so how did you learn English?
Me: I learned it like how you learned French- by hearing it since I was born and by going to school!
Kid: wait, so you normally speak English?
Me: yes, I’m from the United States.  French is my second language.  I’m here to learn how to speak French better and to teach you English.
Kid: really?
Me: yes.
Kid: say something in French

...nevermind that this whole conversation had been in French...

Me: what do you want me to say?
Kid: merci.
Me: merci.
Kid: ohhhhh.
Me: did you hear my accent?
Kid: yeah maybe.  Now say something in English.
Me: what do you want me to say?
Kid: merci.
Me: Thank you.
Kid: no say it in English.
Me: That was English!
Kid: ohhhh la la.

To give the kid credit, I’ve only taught him about 3 times (its complicated, but his class is actually half third
and 4th and I’ve been working more with the 4th graders).  Maybe to give me some credit, my French has indeed improved...but definitely not to the point where I’m mistaken as being French!  But I guess regardless that he seems to be confused as to who I am and what I'm doing here, he must like me because when I was leaving he gave me a picture that he had colored earlier in the day.  Sometimes they’re so darn cute.

I think it will be extremely interesting to see how much English these kids remember after the holiday break.  I feel like that will be a test for how much English they have retained after working with me!

A la prochaine!  keep in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment