GRACE A MOI

Who? Your #1 favorite traveler (aka me)
What? a blog, obviously
When? 8 whole months from September 2011-May 2012
Where? The smallest town in which I've lived: Issoudun, France
Why? ...Oh gosh...why not?

Sunday, October 9, 2011

un mélange

Salut!

Theoretically I start work this week so that is exciting!  So I’m writing this blog post now because I might potentially be more busy this week preparing to start work on the 13th.  There’s no overarching theme, but rather a few tidbits and a lot of pictures that people might find interesting.

So first, I am proud to say that I have officially experienced a French strike.  Hopefully this will be the last one, but realistically we all know thats not gonna happen.  While they usually schedule them so as to minimize any inconvenience on the general day-to-day activities, the strike last Friday occurred as more of an impromptu event.  According to what I heard, because a conductor experienced a “violent act,” then ALL the conductors had the right to go on strike.  Therefore, the only trains in operation last Friday were run by a driver who felt kind enough to show up and shuffle people around France.  Unfortunately that was my day for orientation in Orleans (where, by the way, I learned very little new information), so it was a major headache getting to and from Orleans since most of the trains were “supprimé” (canceled).  But here are the pictures from my Friday in Orleans:

The big church in Orleans

Joan of Arc's house in Orleans

Main square of Orleans with a statue of Joan of Arc in the middle

Despite all the troubles I had while traveling, this is what awaited me when I got back to the Boulot/Lefevre house and it made the whole day seem so much better.

On a completely different subject: running…it’s a generally less common concept here in France than in the US.  Therefore, when I run in France I feel as though I’m violating some sort of unspoken cultural rule that running is not to happen.  However, the Boulots/Lefevres promise me that its not all that weird, so I have decided to bite the bullet and put on my ultra American running shoes (aka not pumas) and occasionally go out for a run. So here is my route...I think that in this case pictures are really worth a thousand words and it can show a little more of the city of Issoudun.
First I run past the Ivy House.  Ivy is a big deal in this town, and I think it's pretty!
I can't wait for this house to be completely red (they ivy is really just starting to change colors now)

Next, I run by one of my schools.
This is one of the buildings for Ecole Michelet.

Then I round a corner and continue under an unpictured bridge.
I think it's odd how the leaves on the ground are yellow and the ones on the trees are green.


See how the houses aren't squished together?  After the bridge everything is more spread out.

And then I run past my first field.

I am disappointed to say that for some reason the donkey wasn't in his small localized field this morning.
  Maybe it's getting too chilly for him.  


And then I run over a stream.

And then run another half mile or so past houses and localized fields.

and then....

drumroll please...


Issoudun stops.  Literally.  Look at how the sidewalk just stops.

And the countryside begins.

Looking back towards Issoudun, you can see how it seems to just pop up.

Anyway, I hope all is well stateside.  It's getting chilly here (as evidenced by the furnace and the lack of donkey)...like highs of 13-14 degrees Celsius which is roughly high 50s low 60s.  Sweater weather!

Keep in touch!

2 comments:

  1. Your run path looks lovely even without a picture of the donkey. Looks pretty chilly there! Hope you had a nice Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was listening to this on my way home, thought of you! Promise I'm going to respond soon to your email!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCuMWrfXG4E&ob=av2e

    ReplyDelete